Big Picture Communication
Engage employees in your organisation’s strategy or inspire change through powerful frameworks, storytelling and imagery. We help your people understand what you want to achieve as an organisation and how their day to-day contribution matters.
Paint your big picture
“I have a dream.” What Martin Luther King did in 1963 was paint a vivid picture that inspired action and changed the course of history. Leaders across the globe right now are dreaming about a better future for their business. But few will ever paint their big picture vividly enough to convert their vision into reality.
It is important to remember that a business strategy is only going to succeed if you can get employees at all levels to understand, support and deliver it. The Big Picture is a highly successful technique to turn your strategic aspirations into concrete reality. A Big Picture is a visual analogy for the journey your organisation has embarked on. It exploits the power of images and storytelling to make your strategy convincing and meaningful. It is a potent way to show where an organisation has come from, its position today and where it’s going. Crucially, it helps employees see where they fit in and how they can become part of the success story.
Axiom’s big picture approach
We start by helping you identify the thread that connects your purpose, vision, mission, ambition, values, behaviours, strategy, objectives, business plans and change programmes. In order to develop an original visual metaphor for your big picture communication we encourage discussions with senior management and representatives of front-line staff. This method drives ownership, results and maximises return on your investment.
Without an overarching story running through your communications, colleagues often perceive a jumble of unrelated activities. We help your sometimes seemingly disparate business activities make sense to colleagues. This is achieved by helping you to join the dots back to a single, compelling and overarching story. One that sets out ‘why’ your organisation exists and galvanises everyone to deliver their part of success.
Then we help leaders explain your organisation’s story in a clear, consistent and compelling way. There are many proven techniques and frameworks we can employ to help you do this but the most popular and impactful are:
- The creation of a metaphor and presenting this as a visual image. We work with your people to establish what metaphor works best. The end result, in pictorial form, helps others visualise your big picture, where they fit in and how they contribute to its success.
- We help you agree a simplified common language. This helps everyone internally understand and discuss strategic issues. Then we create a key message manifesto to help all your leaders consistently re-tell your story and its key messages.
- We embrace the power of storytelling and visual imagery – the world’s most effective communication techniques to help you communicate and realise your big picture. Using our insights, we help you communicate the big picture for your organisation in ways that enable everyone, at every level, to contribute to your success.
How the big picture strategy helps?
Typically, the Big Picture is used as the centrepiece of a management conference or other major event that launches the strategy. It then forms the basis for cascade briefings and action-planning discussions between line managers and their teams across the organisation. This is what brings the strategy to life locally.
The Big Picture approach will:
- Help leaders explain the organisation’s strategy clearly, consistently and compellingly
- Trigger storytelling – the most effective communication technique – throughout the organisation
- Provide a common language and reference for staff to understand and discuss strategic issues
- Show colleagues how they can contribute to the success of the organisation.
Big Picture benefits
- Greater engagement in your strategy or change programme
- Enhanced productivity even during an unsettling period
- Faster and fuller delivery of your strategic outcomes
Share your organisation’s story
The most powerful big picture communication stories are shared deep within an organisation and then measured. They are creatively brought to life in ways that change behaviour to become truly transformative. Many of our client’s blend ‘activation’ and ‘measurement’ elements from other Axiom communication disciplines – positively compounding their results and impact.
Helping businesses paint their big picture
We’ve helped many businesses embrace the big picture approach and it has won them awards. Most importantly though, it has won them business results. After using the big picture approach, 93% of people managers at Manchester Airports Group agreed they understood how they could contribute to their strategy.